Saturday, March 07, 2009

ST8 | M's seem to have Manny-less Dodgers number

M's 8 | Dodgers 7

Sloppy game (3 errors each!) but the ending was certainly exciting and despite the Dodgers 4 stolen bases and two DP's there was some good stuff in the beginning and middle as well...
  • Gaby started lights out - retiring the first six batters he faced, but then it got a bit rough
  • Other good mound performances today: Batista, Corcoran, Messenger (closer battle still wages)
  • 12 hits spread up and down the line-up, Morse and Wlad each w/two (Wlad had his 1st ST home run)
  • Mike Sweeney made his M's ST debut...
"Overall, I felt great. I saw the ball well. I played as hard as I could. I was mentally and physically ready to go."

The legs held up fine, although he didn't have to test them with a sprint around the bases. Even so, he went a few extra steps around first base on his fly ball to center field.

"Traditionally, I would have ran and veered off [to the right], but I did like a Forrest Gump-type thing," Sweeney said. "I just kept running and wanted to see how it felt rounding the base and jogging halfway to second base. It was fine. It felt good."

The big blow, though, was LaHair's first home run of the spring.

"To hit a ball like that and put us ahead is a good confidence-builder for him," Wakamatsu said. "That's true power going that way. I think young kids like that get it into their heads that they have to pull the ball.

"But when he can do something like that ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment