Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cried my mascara off this morning....

.
JACOB DE GOLISH / GETTY IMAGES
I read the Seattle Times everyday during my morning commute via the link-light rail. I wasn't quite prepared for the story I found on the front page of the sports section - definitely needed tissue I didn't have!

It was all about Jose and the promise he made at his sister's funeral - that he would hit 20 home runs this season in her honor.

Being an only child, I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a sibling - and Jose has now lost two. His brother died in an auto accident during the season last year and, unfortunately, he wasn't able to get there for the funeral.

I knew that he had lost his sister to cancer earlier this season. I remember when he left the team to go to the funeral and be with his family in Venezuela (at about the same time Rob lost his mother-in-law and Russell lost his grandfather). What I didn't know was how very close he was to his sister. From the article, it sounds as if she was more like a mother to him during his childhood and a best friend in adulthood.


In any case, it was a very moving story...
I'm so glad he can take comfort in the fact that he's honored his sister's memory by working hard and having a fabulous season.

Here's to many more, Jose!!


JIM BATES / THE SEATTLE TIMES


No comments:

Post a Comment