Sunday, August 02, 2009

G105 | Welcome to the league, Ian!


M's 2 | Rangers 4

Sucky way to lose a game....
The game ended in controversy when Wilson insisted that the final pitch tipped off his bat for a foul ball. But home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn ruled that Wilson swung and missed at the pitch in the dirt, and when Wilson didn't run to first, Saltalamacchia grabbed the ball and tagged Wilson out to end the game.

While the Rangers spilled out of their dugout to celebrate, the umpiring crew huddled on the infield. After a quick consultation, Reyburn gave the out sign.

"I know I got a piece of it," Wilson said. "I didn't get a lot, but I make a lot of contact, especially with two strikes. If I swing and miss, I'm running to first. So I was getting ready for the next pitch, and the next thing I knew, I was out. It was a tough way to end the game."

But, that's the way the ball bounces and now the M's find themselves 10 games back (after the Halos pound the Twins 13-4 today) having lost 3 of 4 in Texas.


AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

BUT (yes, there is a BUT) the encouraging and rather exciting thing is - Ian's debut!

6IP - 3H - 2ER - 3BB - 4K


Not too shabby for a guy pitching his first game in a new league...
in one of the toughest parks to toe the rubber...
vs. a pretty danged potent offense


Congrats, Ian!
Here's hoping the bats can eventually find it in their hearts to give you more run support than they did Jarrod ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment