Friday, August 07, 2009

G109 | extra-inning walk-off wins are FUN!

M's 7 | Rays 6
Especially in person!
I was in my usual seats and flanked by "opposites"...
~ to my left - a gentleman about 10 years my senior attending his first ever Mariners game and soaking in every moment.
~ to my right - a guy about 10 years my junior attending with his wife and two young daughters familiar with all the players and boisterously cheering.

We all rode the roller-coaster through to the thrilling finish...
~ from Russell's moonshot in the first
~ to Felix's struggles (he only gave up 5 hits and 3 runs, but allowed 6 walks and only made it through 6 innings)
~ to Junior's homer (yes - on his bobblehead night!) that started the scoring barrage that would tie the game in the 7th
~ to the awesome performance by the pen that would keep the Rays scoreless through 5 innings
~ to Jason Bartlett's deflating homer in the top of the 11th
~ to the improbable win in the bottom of the 11th ... Franklin had drawn a walk (after striking out 4x previously) and with 2 outs, on a 2-2 count, Ryan LAUNCHED a 'no-doubter' into the right field seats.

Pandemonium ensued.

Oh, and the guy to my right? He sort of called it. He was looking up at Ryan's stats as he walked to the plate and said quietly, "This would be a great time for his second home run."

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment