Monday, May 03, 2010

Rosy's Ramblings

So, there's panic in the streets due to the lack of "battage" now from your Seattle Mariners....
  • Yes, no home runs in more than a week, even from a light-hitting team is concerning
  • Yes, scoring four runs in a three game series is nothing short of pathetic 
  • Yes, having that bases loaded multiple times and coming away with squat is frustrating


But here's the thing....
In my mind (and it may very well be only in my mind - what do I know?) if my team is to struggle, I would rather see them struggle offensively.  It just seems to me that it is easier to "fix" a team that loses 1-3 than one that loses 2-10.  Take the two division rivals the M's didn't play over the weekend - the Halos were swept in Detroit, outscored 9-18 and the A's lost two of three in Toronto, outscored 9-22.


The Mariners have something VERY special with this pitching staff...
and chances are, it's just going to improve.  While it seems impossible for Doug to keep up the pace, RRS is likely to improve, Jason has shown some promise, Cliff is just getting started and Felix hasn't even hit his stride yet (and Erik is just around the corner).  The bullpen seems to still be working out a few kinks, but overall has been adequate.

As for the defense...
They have had a few mis-cues lately, but nothing that is worrisome.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the main concern going into the season was "the switch" - no doubt that Jose and Figgy have put all worries to rest.

Back to the bats...
Yes, it would be great to have a big-bopper in the middle of the teal order (and I would expect that Jack Z is doing anything and everything in his power to improve this team) but it seems to me that this team has enough talent, athleticism and speed to manufacture runs and win games consistently - they just, for whatever reason, haven't been performing.  As our old friend Mark McLemore would say, they just need to "do what they do."  Again, without any proof, I contend that it is easier to figure out how to get an offense to score enough to win more games than they lose than it is to figure out how to improve pitching and defense.  Suffice it to say, I think the foundation that Jack Z is building is a darn solid one.

Should be fun to see what moves are made, what attitudes changed, what fires are lit...

Well, I said it was "rambling" ...
ain't baseball great??

3 comments:

  1. The A's actually lost 3 of 4, whoo!

    Every team has weaknesses in the division and it's becoming what they are the further we get into the season.

    But, I can't talk about that now as I have to vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I credit you for looking up the bullpen splits.

    Nice job, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. vacuum?!? oh that's right, you are a pet owner :-)

    np on the bullpen splits - figured I'd better check it out since you were so certain about them needing a lefty ;-)

    ReplyDelete