Thursday, April 09, 2009

Nick Adenhart ... a REAL Angel now :-(

.
Nick Adenhart

August 24, 1986 ~ April 7, 2009


words just can't express ...
On the bus on my way to work this morning I was perusing the baseball message boards on my BlackBerry, as per usual. I saw the initial rumor about the accident on the AngelsWin message board. I kept reading the updates and before I arrived at my destination, audibly gasped when I saw that the worst was confirmed.

victims...
Nick Adenhart was a victim (two others died, one other critically injured) of a fatal car crash. The person responsible was apparently driving drunk with a suspended liscense and fled the scene, but was later apprehended.

life, baseball, perspective ...
I have always made a point about the fact that I never root for injuries/illness for any team, as I want my team to engage their competition when both are at 100%. Obviously, this tragedy is at a whole other level than an elbow sprain or a hamstring tear. Twenty-two years old ~ baseball star or college student or ditch digger ~ is WAY too young to die. I have a daughter who is two years older than Nick and one two years younger. Sometimes things seem to happen in such a bass-ackward order.


rivalries be damned ...
I can't imagine the shock and sorrow Nick's friends and family must be feeling, including that of his extended family in the Halo organization and all their fans. I have been moved to tears more than once as I have read the various accounts and stories of Nick. Some things just transcend sports rivalries.
Jim Adenhart walked to the
empty pitcher’s mound in Angels Stadium where his son spent the last night of
his life. He spent several quiet moments there, briefly covering his eyes with
one hand.

I happened to hear a gentleman from Nick's hometown in Maryland call into a national sports show this evening and said that his small town is just devastated by the news of his death. His kids played little league with Nick and the guy who was his catcher in high school lives right across the street. He said folks were going in droves to the high school baseball diamond to leave flowers, remembrances and just gather together.

My sincere, heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with all involved.
I just keep hearing Billy Joel in my head ~ Only the good die young.

R.I.P. Nick

Some other M's fans expressed there condolences here...

p.s. Nick's next start would have been on April 14 ... at Safeco Field

3 comments:

  1. One thing that caught my eye were people saying '"I hope it's not Nick" and "Baseball doesn't mean anything today".

    Well, if baseball doesn't matter and there are reports of people dead what makes one persons life more important than the other?

    Hoping the report is wrong altogether would have been better.

    Regardless, he sounded like a good guy. I remember watching last night and saying to myself "many, this guys going to get burned if he keeps throwing two pitches and loading the bases every other inning!"

    Than he finally threw a change-up that totally fooled some hitters.

    Out of all the interviews and commentaries I've seen Darren O'day' and Torii Hunters stood out. No cliche' or 'saying the right thing' one liners. Real moments. Real reactions.

    Henry and Niger both looked like they were promising also.

    The thirds name I know I've heard a bunch of times. I hope he makes it. People have to recognize them all as more than 'others'.

    Of course, the driver probably just got bruised ribs and scratch on his leg. Typical.

    Lets have a good series! Smith vs Anderson tomorrow.

    I wonder if all the tributes will go longer than the first two innings of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny ~
    I understand what you are saying, in that ALL life is precious. I think it's simply human nature to pay more attention to any stories that have to do with those we can relate to. Whether we actually KNOW them or not, we feel more akin to those who play for our team, reside in our country, etc. I don't think it's done on purpose or to lessen the value of others less known, just a natural reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya, I know

    for most it is!

    I'm sad/mad about it just like everyone else.

    I hope the last guy pulls through.

    Did you see that mistubishi, it's a miracle all of them didn't die at the scene.

    At least I learned something from this.

    ReplyDelete