Wednesday, July 29, 2009

G101 | Doc vs. Hyphen ... no contest you say?


M's 3 | Blue Jays 2

Imagine my surprise when I sneaked a peek at the box score during a busy day at work in the bottom of the sixth....

First things first - M's were ahead 1-0. Wow, I thought, against Halladay?!?

Then I checked to see who had touched him up - Lopey a home run!
The next thing I noticed was that the M's had 7 hits (again - vs. Halladay?!?!) Then, it jumped out at me, the ZEROS that comprised RRS's line - no doubt my gasp was audible from my cubicle. Unfortunately, not long after my happy, but nerve-wracking discovery, came the top of the 7th and the first Blue Jays hit as well as two runs.

Later, when I was able to peek again, and imagine my delight when the I saw the final score...

And, it just got better as I saw that it was Junior who came up with a bases loaded double in the bottom of the 7th (with new teammated Jack Wilson having just taken a seat in the dugout ;-)


AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

The 11 hits that Doc H gave up were the most he had surrendered in 15 months.


So, the M's take 2 of 3 from the Tiggers (at the time the leaders in the Central) then get STOMPED by the Tribe for 3 games at home and suffer a rare Felix melt-down in the first game against Toronto - but then go on to win the series, including the game against one of the best pitchers in the league.


Ain't baseball great?

p.s. M's now 25-13 in one-run games


No comments:

Post a Comment