Monday, July 06, 2009

G82 | one shy of perfect


Scoreboard
Baltimore (36-47)000000000011
Seattle (43-39) «10001210x590


AP Photo/Ted S. Warren


M's 5 | O's 0

Well, despite not making a ton of progress on the wallpaper stripping project, I decided to treat myself and go to the game anyway...
boy, am I glad I did!


AWESOME performance by Jarrod and the "D" tonight!!

Nick Markakis's single in the 4th was Baltimore's ONLY BASE RUNNER and Jarrod went the distance the first one-hitter of his career (also the first one-hitter at Safeco Field)

I don't know when I've ever felt so confident in a pitcher as a fan during a game...

It was just 1-2-3, 1-2-3 (first 11 in-a-row, then the hit, then 16 in-a- row). He commented after the game how he made an adjustment in ST that just seems to be working, allowing him to get more ground balls and indeed he did (11gb - 13fb). Even though it seemed he threw a lot of first pitch balls ~ he only went to a 3-ball count on two batters.

As is usually the case with this type of outing, the "D" was great behind him (really nice to see especially the 'replacements' stepping up to take over for Adrian, Yuni and Endy). There was a bit of luck though (either that or Wak really knows how to read a crystal ball when it comes to defensive positioning) - there was a stretch for awhile there with nothing by "at-'em balls.



AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

Rather ironic that Jarrod finally gets a little run support and doesn't need it...

~Russell with a 1st inning homer to center

~Ichiro with an RBI single

~Chris with a 2-run double
~Ryan with a sac-fly


AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

It was a rather eerie sight at The Safe tonight, especially after it got dark...

None of the electronic scoreboards were working. The video board was functioning (and they ended up putting the pitch counts there w/each players picture) but all around the park the boards were dark. I always bring my radio, so the only thing I really missed was the pitch counts/speed. Of course the hand-operated scoreboard was working fine....



AP Photo/Ted S. Warren


Oh, another What was really cool, is that his parents were in attendance - in town from Wisconsin.


Oh, a Junior tid-bit...
I was sitting in the first row of the third deck over the M's dugout and at one point when Ichiro was at bat, I looked down and there was Junior at the rail (I think he was next to Rob) mimicking Ichiro as he was batting! I had heard that he did stuff like this, just never caught him in the act - it was hysterical!

Well, be interesting to see how Eirk follows up on this performance tomorrow....

5 comments:

  1. The Orioles aren't going to be a contender for a little while, but they have a good offense.

    Pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I see that the A's pitcher was pretty impressive yesterday as well - way to beat up on the Sox!!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, that was all my doing! Thanks Lisa!

    They should win way more often. I look at the line up and that should win at least 1/2 the games! Of course, someone will probably get hurt again soon!

    Look for the Ms to be swinging some deals!

    I think you'd have to agree that, right Lisa!

    Also, Branyan should have made the team. Of course, they probably just saw and rbis and said to themselves "well, we can't put him on the team with that!"

    Joke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - it's not Russell's fault there's never anybody on base in front of him ;-) I think he should have at least made the "final vote" list. Another potential deserving Mariner was David (the D.A.) Aardsma. Oh well, they could probably both use the rest.

    I listened to some of the A's/RS game on XM yesterday - never ceases to amuse me how many of the east coast broadcasters continue to proclaim how weak the west is. Guess they haven't looked at the divisional splits recently to see that the West is 51-38 vs. the vaunted East ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If they would have took Kurt Suzuki over Bailey, than Aardsma might have got on there. Or take Fuentes off the team and put Weaver or Millwood on. Or Wakefield!

    Yeah, I don't pay much attention to that. I don't have XM, but I assume its pretty bad!

    It wouldn't have made much difference if Branyan would have made the final 5, because not enough people know who he is. Mariner and some fantasy fans wouldn't be enough. Same thing goes for Mark Reynolds.

    ReplyDelete