Saturday, June 20, 2009

G67 | That's the sweet swing we remember!

.

AP Photo/John Froschauer

M's 4 | Diamondbacks 3

I wasn't able to attend the game tonight as I usually do on Friday nights when the M's are at home, as I was honored to attend my God-Daughter's college graduation party (yes, the slide show her mother, my BFF, created brought more than a tear ;-)

Anyway, I did occasionally take a peek at my BlackBerry to check on the score. Seems Jarrod and the M's were down 3-0 fairly early and despite a decent amount of hits, just couldn't get anything going. And then came the 8th ....

I glanced down at my BB and saw that the M's had scored a run, there was a man on second base and Junior was at bat. A minute or so later I glanced down and saw the score was tied - I didn't even need to check the play-by-play, it was obvious what had happend. I could hardly contain my excitement (during whatever conversation I was having at the time). Then I looked down and saw that the M's had a one run advantage - yesssss! I thought to myself!
"Today was special," Griffey said, grinning over his 618th career home run, the hugs he got from nearly every giddy teammate and then the fans' curtain call he answered by emerging from the dugout and tipping his batting helmet.

"Just a little chance of giving back, appreciating all the things they've done for me over the years," Griffey said of the people who have loved him since he was a 19-year-old rookie star here two decades ago.

Johnson thinks Griffey is special, too. His locker neighbor shared heartfelt condolences with him Friday, after Johnson returned from being gone five days to Texas following the death of his mother-in-law. Griffey told the young catcher how he got through losing loved ones -- including his best friend, Frank King, who died 13 months ago at the age of 38 of cancer.

Johnson called his wife, who is still in Houston with their son, before he took batting practice. Hours later he watched Griffey's heroic moment in awe -- and then became a hero himself.

"I couldn't think of a better situation. So many of us wouldn't be here in this stadium if it wasn't for him," Johnson said of Griffey.

good stuff...
  • Awesome to see Junior starting to really contribute on the field as we all can see the difference he has made off the field
  • Russell, despite just returning from his grandfather's funeral, picked up right where he left off.
  • And what about Robby? First day back from bereavement leave (lost his mother-in-law to a car accident) and he hits a run scoring triple ~ don't see THAT everyday from a catcher ~ and, it would prove to be the game winner
  • Another QS from Jarrod (shame he didn't get the win) and solid performance from the pen
scary stuff...
Collision course between Endy and Yuni proved to be disastrous for poor Endy...
MRI today and early indications are not good... heal fast and well, Endy!


AP Photo/John Froschauer


AP Photo/John Froschauer


AP Photo/John Froschauer


AP Photo/John Froschauer


AP Photo/John Froschauer


Off to work for a bit and then to the game tonight ...
Here's hoping they have some "good stuff excitement" saved for tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Torn acl, out for the season.

    Betancourt owes him big time!

    ReplyDelete