Sunday, June 07, 2009

Catch as catch can

.
Catching can be harmful to your health...

  • Starting catcher, Kenji is already on the DL with a broken toe.
  • Backup catcher, Rob is extremely beat up, among other things, fouled a ball off his instep on Friday night and needs some rest.
  • Backup to the backup catcher, Guillermo is now ALSO a bit beat up and you gotta have a backup, so....
M's have recalled Jamie Burke (he'll be catching EriK in today's game) - welcome back, Jamie!

To make room, Denny Stark has been designated for assignment - good luck, Denny.
Stark has undergone two Tommy John surgeries, missed the 2006 and 2007 seasons and this season is the first time since 2004 he pitched in the major leagues.

"Are you disappointed?" Stark asked rhetorically of the demotion. "Of course you are. Every player that's in Triple A right now, wants to be in the big leagues or on a big-league roster."

But he also was able to put the move in perspective.

"I take things in stride," he said. "I know where I was two years ago. I never knew if I would walk back into a big-league clubhouse. You just hold your head up high and move on, and take each day, and that's one thing, I've been grateful for every day that I got to walk into this clubhouse.

"The fact of everything that I had been through, I walk out of here with my head up high and the one thing that I've always taken pride is to leave everything on the field and go out there, and every game give 100 percent. I walk out of here today knowing I did that, and I didn't give away any outings."

No comments:

Post a Comment