Sunday, May 03, 2009

G25 | hey, we got a lefty in the pen :-)


(updated at 9:39PM)



AP Photo/Elaine Thompson

M's 8 | A's 7
(in 15)

And whadayaknow? He gets the improbable win...
by pitching in the 13th, 14th and 15th! Yes, Jason Vargas was thrown into the fire that was Safeco Field on Sunday afternoon. And, he not only survived, he thrived. He struck out the first three batters he faced and would go on to allow one walk, two singles, two fly-outs and strike out one more batter before his work was done as he was awarded the "W".

Flashback (to the regulation innings)...
The game didn't begin as lovely as the afternoon was. Jaku, who has run very hot and very cold so far this season, started out on his cold side, allowing three runs in the first. He settled down for a couple of innings, and the M's got within one on Mike Sweeney's first homerun as a Mariner (also the 200th for his career). But then Jaku started to struggle again and the A's plated another run in the 5th and in came the calvary... before it was all said and done, every bp pitcher would take the mound (and soon they would be looking for volunteers from the bench).

The relievers (on both sides) would hold serve until Ichiro singled Wlad home in the 7th to get the M's back within one. And then, in the 9th Kenji would deliver the blow, a solo shot into the visiting bullpen to tie it up. Immediately, Franklin pushed a bunt do the 1st base line for a hit and Yuni singled, but an Ichiro strikeout and a Jose ground out (he couldn't quite get it done vs. Springer, like Friday night) would stifle the rally.

The 'extries'...
Through the next three innings, no batter reached further than first. Then, what appeared to be disaster struck in the 13th when the wheels fell off for Miggy and he allowed three runs to score and was only able to record two outs (that's when Vargas came in).

"You just never know."....
That's what Blowers said to Sims on the TV broadcast after Adrian got a lead off base hit in the bottom of the13th. After a couple more singles, a couple of walks and a fielder's choice - the M's had tied it up AGAIN.

In the bottom of the 15th...

A's reliever Gonzalez (who had thrown 108 pitches!!!) was relieved by starter Eveland who promptly gave up a single, FC, made an error himself, IBB'd Ichiro and gave up the winning bloop hit to ~ none other than Friday night's hero ~ Jose Lopez!



AP Photo/Elaine Thompson

Whew!! Glad it was at home, so at least the guys can sleep in their own beds after what must have been an extremely exhausting day ~ 'specially for the bp guys ~ yowsa!


AP Photo/Elaine Thompson


Here's to a complete game for Felix tomorrow :-)


11 comments:

  1. I don't feel like ruining your blog, so, all I'll say is good game Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as you said yesterday, all I did was watch ;-)

    Now Daniel, how would you ruin my blog, exactly?

    I know I'm just a silly rosy fan who really doesn't understand all the intricacies of the game, but one of the reasons I do this and read other blogs and participate in forums is to learn.

    So ruin away, I've bantered with Yanks, Red Sox and (as you know) Angels - I can take it.

    Besides, if I really don't like what you say, I can always deleted it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *delete*

    but apparently, I can't edit my own comments...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think it's great to see one manager go for it all but using his whole bullpen and the other leaves four guys in there!

    I feel bad for Gio, talk about ruining a guys confidence. 108 pitches! Yikes! Whats his reward? He'll probably end up getting sent down for a while.

    Also, I liked how Rajai broke back on Lopez' shallow fly (while playing shallow already)!

    Have fun vs Padilla Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - so you disagree with how your manager managed. Well, we have certainly had a LOT of that around these here parts the last several years. So, it is refreshing, SO FAR, to not have that second-guessing.

    Do you really think Gio will be sent down? Heck, I would think he'd be promoted to the rotation after that improbable performance - guy did all everything you could possibly ask.

    As for the 'bloop' ... sometimes those are the breaks - M's had three errors - ugh! could have easily ended with the opposite result (but, as you've probably noticed, I tend not to dwell on the negative ;-)

    OK - so NOW who do I root for? I HATE it when the M's division rivals are playing each other...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh, I'm not one of those people that 2nd guesses every possible thing a manager does 'wrong'. This one just seemed pretty evident.

    I think he'll get sent down to get another arm up.

    Yeah, I know all about the breaks. Good thing there's 162 games for them to even out!

    You probably want to go for the A's since I still think the Angels are the favorite to win this division. Lackey And Santana won't be as good when they get back and even though the LA's back up starters are actually doing ok, it'll help them in the long run (probably).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beyond the the cold, merciless eye of metrics, this seems a nice place to celebrate the return of Denny Stark. He might not have a long, bright future as a reliever in MLB, but he certainly earns a round of hearty applaus for grit, determination and will-power. Bravo!

    Sancho

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sancho!
    I agree totally about Denny (I was touched by his interview with Shannon on the Saturday pre-game)
    I would like to chronicle exactly those sorts of things here...
    Hopefully someday I will be organized enough in my everyday life to spend more time in my Mariner life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, I called it!

    I'm sure he'll be brought up again soon.

    They call it a rough outing which is stupid. More like a 'forced outing'.

    "Athletics optioned Gio Gonzalez to Triple-A Sacramento.

    Gonzalez had a rough outing Sunday when he allowed five hits, four walks and three earned runs in five innings in his season debut. The left-handed pitcher was just recalled on Saturday. "

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Gio :-(

    Do you think he'll be back up at some point?

    ReplyDelete